Re: [OM] China suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] China suggestions
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:37:40 -0400
On 12/13/02 10:05 AM, "Roger Wesson" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Shame the itinerary is fixed - I can give you tons of ideas of what to
> do in Beijing!  Do you have free time while you're there?

We're spending 2-3 days in Beijing so I will have some free time I think. I
know the day we arrive has nothing planned but I might be wiped out from the
plane trip (flying from the east coast of Canada). I'm pretty sure that
we're going to hit the summer palace and the temple of heaven.

> I'm sure you're taking far too much kit  - I spent six weeks there over
> the summer, and I survived, photographically, with an OM-1 (I took an
> OM-1n as well but didn't use it at all), 28/2.8, 50/1.8 and 135/3.5.
> But if you're happy carrying it all...

I've travelled with this kit before so I know what the weight is like and
that was while dealing with my luggage as well at times. I've even contended
with this kit (held in a LowePro Rover backpack) with the daypack full of 12
bottles of beer, several hard cover books, and 3 beer glasses, with a
sleeping bag and bike helmet attached to the outside as well as managing my
other backpack that held all my clothing. It wasn't pleasant but I did it.
This trip shouldn't be nearly as insane in terms of what I'll be lugging
around so carrying the gear won't be a problem.

> Beijing should not be too hot in April, but I hear that dust can be a
> major problem - it blows in from the Gobi desert.  Careful when you're
> changing lenses!  Humidity should not be too high in the north but might
> be high further south.  Probably worth taking some silica gel.

Yes, I'll have to keep this in mind. I gather that April is a really good
time to be travelling in China though, it's spring time so it's not really
hot yet and it's less busy with tourists. Silica gel does sound like a
really good plan though.

> I expect you'll be looking inside one or two temples while you're there,
> and so I recommend either a tripod or a flash for interior shots.  I had
> neither, and consequently have no interior shots!

Yes, this is what really has me leaning towards a monopod now. If I can get
one that can double as a walking stick then I think I'll get some good use
out of it for that alone, and being able to stick a camera on it for using a
long lens, macro, or indoor shot will be great. Plus, I know that while some
places have restrictions on tripod use, a monopod is acceptable.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx