Re: [OM] OT - Contax G2?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Contax G2?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:24:13 +0100
On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:43:25 -0500
"om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Go over toe photo.net and search for threads on the G2.  It's
> quirky camera and many people don't like it after extensive use.
> But it takes exceptional pictures.

Nothing to do with OM, but.....I have a good friend who has a Contax
G1, which I was allowed to play with intensively. I let him enjoy
some OM stuff meanwhile :) The G1 and G2 are not *that* different, so
I permit myself to chip in.....and bring the thread more OT than it
is....

It is a nice camera, however it does have its quirks. Still, though,
I found that after a short while I had grown quite comfortable with
it, and the only thing I did not immediately like was the AF, as you
point out below.

> Summary?  It's an interchangable lens, point-and-shoot.  The lens
> are fabulous.  The AF is a bit noisy, the viewfinder is a bit dim.
> MF is only possible with focus-by-wire, no focusing with the lenses
> directly.

I did not try the camera under dim conditions, however the viewfinder
of the G1 was not a problem. It was in August in Japan, so sunlight
was not in short supply....

The focus system of the G1 was weird, though. The AF took getting
used to, however MF did not work atall for me. My friend said, that
it did not work for him either, however that he'd eventually grown
quite fond of the AF of the camera.

I've honestly considered rangefinder cameras for a while, and have
even been close to a Leica M7 for a while. If I was to choose between
the M7 and the G1 (or G2), I think I would go G2. The M7 seems clumsy
in its handeling, whereas the G1 felt very ergonomic and nice...and
the glass for the Contax'en is absolutely wonderfull too :)

This is just my opinion. Also, the M7 is amazingly expensive, IMO.

Still, though, I have not yet found justification enough to actually
acquire either :)

> I prefer a Contax T2 as a take-everywhere camera.

Never had my hands on a T2. I use a Minox Tlx as take-everywhere :)

--thomas

> Search on Google for Contax, G2, Leica, Review, Opinion and
> combinations of those words.
>
> Skip

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)