Re: [OM] Digital Threshold Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Threshold Question
From: Tal Lancaster <talrmr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 10:56:09 -0800
I feel the real answer is really subjective.

If one only views their images on 4x6 prints, then the current generation of
4+MP cameras should be acceptable.  I am referring exclusively to image detail
and ignoring all of the other pros and cons.

Ok, what about about 8x10 images or 11x17?  A 4000dpi film scan (consumer
level) and a 8-10MP should provide about the same kind of detail.

As to the question do the current 13M cameras have the same detail that film
does?  To answer that, get you 35mm or medium format film drum scanned and
printed at 20x24 (medium format or 16x24 35mm) and compare it to what you get
with the current high end digital cameras.  I submit that the film still will
have more detail.  (Of course this presumes you are shooting with some kind of
fine grain film like Provia 100)

Or I guess it would be cheaper to just compare the scan and digital image pixel
for pixel on your computer screen, but it wouldn't be nearly so gratifying.

Tal

--
Tal Lancaster
talrmr@xxxxxxxxxxx