Re: [OM] China suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] China suggestions
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:55:58 -0400
On 12/13/02 12:40 PM, "Dan Lau" <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The places you are traveling to seemed to be famous for their
> landscapes (Beijing/Great Wall, WuDang mountain, Lijiang, Li-River,
> and Mt. Huangshan).  There will be the temples of course, but by
> and large, it will be a lot of landscape opportunities.  I'd favor
> the wide angles more than the long lenses.  But having said that,
> do you really need all those wides (21/24/28/35)?  Also think
> about your filters, I don't know what the weather will be like in
> April, but many of those places are also famous for the mist/haze/
> fog.

Well just about everyone has suggested a longer lens so my current thinking
is to pick up a 200/4 as well as a tele converter. My backpack (LowePro
Rover) has 6 sections so cutting down to 6 lenses would make sense. I've
taken 7 before by using a LowePro S&F pouch on the waist belt but I find it
a bit awkward. If I drop 2 of the wides I could have enough space in the
pack for the rest including the 200mm. Currently I'm considering a couple of
different combinations. I'm thinking possibly the 21 and 28 while dropping
the 24 and 35. Or, dropping the 21 and 28 and taking the 24 and 35. I
suppose the 21 and 35 would be another possibility. Currently, I'm leaning
towards taking the 24 and 35, that gives me nice slightly wide and really
wide choices. The 21 is nice to have but would probably be my least used of
my wides and I think it makes more sense to take the 24 so that I have a bit
more of range between the 2 lenses. I can always move a bit or crop if I
have to.

> Depending on the type of tour group, I find traveling with a guided
> tour group tends to really limit the amount of time you have to
> set-up and take a careful shot.  In other words, you will not have
> time to set up a tripod shot even when inside a temple or a cave.
> If your tour is like any typical guided tour, then 990f the shots
> must be done hand-held because the tour operates on a fixed schedule
> and they cannot wait for one straggler to take pictures.  During my
> tour of China, I had to do a lot of running to catch up to the rest
> of the group that has moved on.

Fortunately, there's a number of photographers (amateur and pro) in the
group so I don't think this will be a problem. I think there's 14 in the
group and at least 4 of us are photographers, possibly more.

> Good luck, enjoy the tour.  And share your pictures with us when you
> come back.

Definitely plan on this. Of course I need to get caught up on my older
scanning as well (I have some stuff from 4 years ago that I need to scan
yet, don't have anything scanned from my last trip to Europe). Where I'm
planning on shooting quite a bit on this trip, I think that might help to
motivate me to get more caught up. I think I'm going to have to do some bulk
scanning and then work through touch ups later. Once I get everything
scanned then I think it will be easier to get the work done because I can
just open up an image and work on it without having to worry about scanning
it then.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx