[OM] Camera Commandos

Subject: [OM] Camera Commandos
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:42:39 +0800
I was at a church xmas function on Saturday.. It was VERY dark, and so I brought along a roll of Fuji Superia 800.

OK, let me list a few annoying things offhand. There was a N*kon guy there, who "felt the need" to take pictures from the back of the church, with a 300mm/f4 lens. Of course the lights were all out except for the stage, and so he decided to "arm" himself with a flashpack that was a little smaller then a briefcase bomb, but no less bright. Why he felt the need to take pictures with a 300mm lens in church, I have no idea. Since available light wasn't good, he decided he needed to "light up" the entire church and made sure everybody noticed his 12lb lens and his 8lb flash.

I walked up to the subjects and snapped a few shots. He looked at my camera... "Toy" he thought, you could tell by his snicker... I didn't have a flash, and he dusted the top of his flash, and laughed again... Whatever. These seem like "camera commandos" and not really photographers, the photo seems secondary to the equipment you can display. How he was shooting a 300mm lens HAND HELD while walking is beyond me, again he must be the superior photography, I mean after all, he's got the $4000 piece of glass right?

Annoyed..
Albert