Re: AW: [OM] Oh, I am, huh, well take this!

Subject: Re: AW: [OM] Oh, I am, huh, well take this!
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:36:12 -0400
On 12/15/02 5:53 PM, "Jochen Schiffler" <jochen.schiffler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Nice one :-)
>
> For Germany it's the same as for Belgium. You find very few screw-off caps
> here. I remember only one and that living near Cologne where a great bunch
> of brews is added to the list of locally available beers.
>
> If you live in a (nearly) screw-off cap free country you get really
> imaginative about how to open your bottles if you don't have a bottle opener
> handy. I wonder if it's a special skill of europeans to use 'one-way'
> lighters or is this just widespread instinct?
>
> I never managed to open a film cartridge with a lighter though.

The bottle opener is probably the most frequently used tool on my swiss army
knife. I life in Canada so twist off caps are pretty common but I tend to
drink a lot of imported beer which isn't.

When I was in Russia none of the beer we could get had twist off caps.
Living in a dorm with an international group of students, I think I saw
every method of bottle opening known to man. I never did get the hang of the
lighter trick (having a swiss army knife made it unnecessary for myself and
I don't smoke). If done properly (or incorrectly depending on your point of
view), you can use the lighter to launch the cap to the ceiling or across
the room, very impressive. Of course there was also the crazy guy who would
open bottles with his teeth but that's another story.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx