Re: [OM] China suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] China suggestions
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 04:00:05 -0500
You could always get a Pelican carry-on. One nice feature is the ability to
add your own padlocks, as well as having great strength and beng perfectly
waterproof and dustproof.

tOM

On Monday, December 16, 2002 at 12:04
VS <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <b7.2b657b8b.2b2b377e@xxxxxxx>, NSURIT@xxxxxxx writes:
>
> >One thing I will consider is what will fit under an airplane seat or in the
> >overhead.  I sure wouldn't want to show up at the airport with my soft
> >case/back pack and be told I had to give it to the luggage gorillas to put
> >in
> >luggage compartment because it was too big. It will be a long flight
> >agonizing flight if you stuff is in the bowels of the plane, rather than
> >with
> >you. It will be a long flight regardless, but at least you can avoid the
> >agony part.
>
> This is what has primarily driven me to buy Lowepro's Stealth AW
> backpack for my trip to Magnetic Island. It has it's pros and cons, one
> of them being that it's just butt-ugly (for all you fashion conscious
> people). :-) It looks big, and it is big. It fits quite a bit of
> equipment and don't believe it when they say it only has 3 lens
> compartments -- you can easily fit quite a few Zuiko primes in the
> backpack without worrying about your glass.
>
> The camera compartments are made for ditigal wunderbricks,
> I.e. oversized for OM's. I ended up putting 100/2.8 on -3 and 135/3.5 on
> -4Ti and problem was solved. And there was more space for more lenses in
> the lens pouches. :-)
>
> Of course, Stealth backpack being "digital warrior's best friend",
> there's an extra notebook compartment there. I can say it's well-padded
> and can take much bigger notebooks than the two I tried, IBM's T20 and
> Dell's Inspiron 2100. So, if you plan to take a digital backup with you
> and want to check your photos in the peace and quiet of your hotel room,
> Stealth will take good care of your notebook.
>
> In the front big pocket, there's plenty of space for a spare t-shirt or
> any other piece of clothing you might want to take with you on a daily
> trip (we normally had a couple of spare t-shirts on our hikes around the
> island - minus notebook). It's definitely not my backpack of choice for
> more than a few hours trips in the wild, but since we had to travel
> light, we needed to improvise. Just take the notebook compartment out,
> put in more water than you need and you're fine. :-)
>
> So, if you need a backpack for your business travel and you want it to
> fit a camera body or two plus a few lens, have a look at Stealth.
>
> Having said that, I'm looking for a new small backpack now, something
> that I can take on one day treks around Blue Mountains. :-) I'm thinking
> of Mini Trekker or even Micro Trekker. :-)
>
> With the plane be careful if you plan to take bigger bag, LowePro and I
> guess other camera bag manufacturers usualy only state the interior
> dimensions, so take something as small as possible.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Saso

---- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur ----
   ,__@ tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)                ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714
safety." -- Benjamin Franklin