[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3761

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3761
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 01:04:57 -0800

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:34:06 +0000
From: bsandyman@xxxxxxx
Subject: [OM] Digital Threshold Question

I keep reading hype that digital has arrived. For instance some clever person
has figured out how to do a better color sensor. (This was in a recent edition
of Discover.) The article went on and on about how it made digital as good as
film, without any mention of the other drawback, resolution.

I have always thought that digital would never equal film simply because a
molecule of photo sensitive material would always be smaller then even the
smallest CCD element.

I loosley followed a thread on this list about how at ~15 MB digital would equal
film. The gist being (if I understood correctly, which is by no means certain)
that further resolving power on the part of the digital sensor was wasted due to
the lack of resolving power of the optics. In other words the sensor would not
get more information, because more information would not make it thorugh the
lenses. Since the optics are the information bottleneck at this point, then the
difference between film and digital becomes moot (as far as resolution is
concerned).

Is this right?

Can some one point me to apropriate literature so I can read up on it myself?

I am not going to give up my film gear, and very likely will get more. I just
want to know if I have good reason not too, or if I am just going to have to be
stubborn.

Feel free to respond off list. I don't want to start a war, I just want to be
informed.

Digital is here, right now, and has been for some time. I recently took the plunge and bought an EOS D60 to be able to work with a pro motorsports photography group next year (that Mike V also knows). Yes, I have gone over to the dark side. I'll tell you what, though, that D60 is a beautiful camera, and for a "plastic" wonderbrick, it is beautifully executed and implemented, and VERY well thought out for real world use; I am impressed and I am a diehard Olympus guy. I gotta hand it to Canon, they have their sh*t together; this camera is joy to use. I *really* like it, and the image quality I get from it is pretty extraordinary. I was shooting some beach/surf scenes at Bodega Bay last weekend during a sunset, and shot both with my OM-2S and the D60. The OM-2S did not get any exposures right (shot on "Auto" ; it was pretty dark), but the D60 nailed the exposures bang-on.

For pro journalists, for example, no one shoots film anymore in the U.S. Just ask David Hume Kennerly. All the newspapers and most magazines shoot strictly digital now. You can't get a roll of film developed at Associated Press anymore. It's very tough to get photos sold to magazines, for race tracks, or into print or on web-based magazines or motorsports sites unless you're shooting digital. Mike Veglia is an exception, but all the mags want digital these days, for the most part.

-Stephen Scharf