Re: [OM] Digital vs. Film, grain

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital vs. Film, grain
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 18:09:27 +0800
Albert wrote:

> One thing that digital will never do that film will do, is grain.  Some
> grain looks great.  Digital however has "pixelation" which is horrible.
>  B&W pics, low resolution or using ISO1600 film, you get a lot of grain,
> but I'd have to say it's great character.  Pixelation is just flat out
> ugly..

I think you have never use any digital camera or still stay at the
<2MB age. There is NO pixelation on DC >3MP and proper printer, you
won't seen any even at 11x14 or even larger. Most advance RIP handle
it very well, I output my E-10 shots to Velvia and projected to 60"
screen, the edges are very smooth and the tone are great! On the other
hand if you need grain I'm sure it can be simulated by software.

> There is also another problem with digital that is not mentioned.  35mm
> replacement, sure.  But making optics that will take up a 4x5 or a 8x10
> plane, is all but impossible or would cost more then most 3rd world
> countries.  So digital is "here" vs. the 35mm camera, but compared to
> say 6x6, or 4x5 or 8x10, no way.
>
> I remember I was tempted to buy a copy of playboy (for the articles!!)
> ;-)  But in all seriousness, there was an article about the amount of
> work needed to do a centerfold.  That's taken on an 8x10 large format.
>  You are almost looking at a contact sheet.  Digital has a long ways to
> go before Playboy switches.  Interesting articles.

I'm not sure about Playboy but portrait photographer is one of the
first kind of photographer change to digital, every digital fans agree
portrait is the strongest point of DC, the beautiful skin tone is hard
to achieve with film except the very experience photographer. On the
other hand many novice can take great portrait with a DC. Technically
the only type of photography film is still leading is landscapes since
it demand very high resolution. On most other fields the DC wins film
hands down. But I will still stay with film since what I need is not
only the result, it is the process that I enjoy. I treat slide
shooting is challenge, I don't like the idea of shooting a thousand to
get a good one so I never bracket exposure. Something that is too easy
to obtain has no fun.

C.H.Ling