Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3753

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3753
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:20:28 +0100
On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:09:08 +1100
"Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I take portraits of my cats all the time. The key is to get far
> > enough away from to let them
> > behave like cats, and not so close they'll be relating to you,
> > the photographer.
>
> I thought the method for photographing cats was to put then in the
> freezer for a while to slow them down, then shoot them before they
> warm up too much.

Nahh, depending on the age of the cat. I have friends who have a
fairly old cat. He behaves the same, regardless if you are far or
close. Hist behavioral patterns are limited to three: eating,
sleeping, soliciting for affection (which is really just "jumping
onto your lap, then sleeping").

He can be tricked into striking a pose for the camera, though, since
he has learned that it usually is followed by a cat-goodie and
affection. The alternative: a photo of a sleeping cat....I have a few
of those, since he rarely can keep interrested for long at a time :)

Btw., kittens are impossible to photograph without help. Curious
creatures by nature, the introduction of a camera into their
proximity clearly calls for crawling over, on, licking, pushing
etc. It seems to me, that for their first 3 years, cats never
sleep....then, they make up for it by sleeping 36h/day (!) for the
rest of their life :)

Ahh, I want to be a cat in my next life :)