Re: Reading MS word documents [Was: [OM] FS list

Subject: Re: Reading MS word documents [Was: [OM] FS list
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:33:56 +0100
At 20:10 16.12.02, John Hudson wrote:
Microsoft has a freeware reader program called "Microsoft Reader" you can
download from the MS site. This allows you to open and read MS Word
documents even though you do not have Word on your system. The *.exe file I
downloaded is called Wd97vw32.exe and according to the site details is good
from and including Word 97 right up to date. It worked fine with Mike's for
sale list and I do not have Word on my system.

Why would anyone open .doc-files with potential executable content to view a list of equipment? I'm not saying Mike has hatched out an evil plan to infect all zuikoholics with macro viri, but who knows what his machine's infected with?

A text list should be very easy to publish in html, or if that fails, sending the list in text fomat by email would be even easier. Surely it wouldn't be many bytes when the Word header and tags are removed.

Grumpy (Word installed, still without clue about what Mike's selling)