Re: [OM] Re: OT - Awesome Digital Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT - Awesome Digital Photography
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:29:07 -0800
In a message dated 12/16/2002 Richard F. Man writes:

<< Did you just miss Norman's post? >>

No, not now. I'm in digest mode so there's a lag time for me...sorry.

<< This is my thinking also. For our "business," we will need to get a
digital system some times next year. Looking at the current crop, the Sigma
still has a way to go, so it is still down to either the Nik*n D100 or the
Can*n D60. >>

I would add the Fuji S2 to that list...if you get one that works reliably it
may be the best of the three.

<< The Can*n 1Ds and the Kod*k DCS-14n is just out of the budget. >>

Right. Mine too.

<< If either Pent*x or the Olydak 4/3 comes out a 6+MP system w/ good
selection of lens in a form factor that I like, then great. >>

That's pretty much the holding pattern I'm in too (besides having no
equipment budget that is).

<< Otherwise, then it will have to be either the D100 or the D60, with the
D60 has the potential advantage of able to use the Zuiko with an adapter. I
think the D100 is much lighter though, being based on the lighter F100/F80
film body. >>

So is the Fuji S2, and from what I gather it offers pretty amazing image
quality. However, I would really like to test a Can*n D60 with the Zuiko
350/2.8 (Stephen, I'm guessing you're game to help me test this if we can
score an adapter????) to see how well it works out. One place that does
adapters, in the UK, told me they do not do an OM to EOS adapter because
lenses won't focus out to infinity (and they could be wrong). The 350/2.8
focuses beyond infinity anyway so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

Let's not also forget the guy from Arcatech I met in a hotel spa in Desert
Hot Springs who says he fully intends to do an OM to 4/3 adapter the moment
bodies are in the photography media's (specifically Shutterbug magazine)
hands.

I know of one very well known and highly respected motorsports photographer
who recently dumped Nik*ns in favor of L*ica R8s because of reliability
problems. He has an adapter to use his beautiful L*itz super-telephotos on a
D-60 and suggested I look for one of these adapters as well for shooting
digital. (And yes, he does still shoot film with those R8s as well, and
scans the slides with a Sprintscan 4000+ film scanner.)

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com