Re: [OM] Digital vs. film

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital vs. film
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:18:00 -0500
In a message dated 12/17/2002 1:52:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The OM2 is full-frame averaging, the OM2n is center-weighted.
> I've seen some evidence that at least some OM2n's also had full-frame,
> but it may be that the shutter curtain was swapped out in a repair.

It's the other way around, the early OM-2's had the center-weighted curtain.
Later OM-2's and all OM-2n's had the averaging curtain. I remember reading
somewhere (Shipman? Heiberg?) that when they changed the curtain pattern they
also changed something in the metering so it was still center-weighted. Some
people seem to think that there is an advantage to the old style
senter-weighted curtain, but if I understand things correctly the newer OM-2's
and OM-2n's are just as center-weighted, but have the advantage that the
pattern doesn't slowly revert to full averaging as exposures get longer. With
the original curtain as more of the exposure is measured off the film the
metering pattern gradually shifts from center-weighted to full averaging.

I suppose putting an old style curtain in a newer OM-2 would result in even
more heavily center-weighted response in auto mode for shorter exposures. I
think the AP specifically ordered some OM-2's like this back in the 70's.

Paul Schings