RE: [OM] Digital vs. film

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital vs. film
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:40:22 -0800
Interpolation is mathmetically filling in missing points from sampled data. For
example lets say you go out and measure the position of the moon every 15
minutes. You don't actualy know where the moon was in between those
measurements. But you can guess. The simplest interpolation would be a straight line between observed samples. For example if you observe that the moon is at 20 degrees at 2:30 and 22 at 2:45, then you can guess that it was at 21 degrees at
2:37:30. (I am making the measurements up, but you get the point.)

When you blow up a digital picture one of your options is to make all the pixels
bigger. This generally looks hideous. Another option is to move the pixels you
have to where they would be in a larger picture, and then to fill in all the
white space by interpolating the values that are in between your original pixels.

I don't know what kind of model photo shop or similar would use, but I imagine
it would be more sophisticated then a straight line.

I think about the only way that has been successful is to use fractals. Fractal Designs has software that allows enlargement that normally would be offensive because of the digital artifacts.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California