Re: On Re-using Our Beloved Zuikos For Digital [Was: [OM] Re: OT - Aweso

Subject: Re: On Re-using Our Beloved Zuikos For Digital [Was: [OM] Re: OT - Awesome Digital Photography]
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:35:26 -0800
In a message dated 12/17/2002 Jan Steinman writes:

<< For example, if it won't fit on a 2XA, it probably won't fit on an
optical converter. This would knock out many of the most desirable, high-end
Zuikos. >>

On the wide angle side of things, probably so. Just to avoid the potential
hassle going EOS mount makes the most sense.

<< Here's a place in UK that custom-makes various adaptors. They don't list
OM-->EOS specifically. Anyone in UK know more about this place?

  <http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/publish/page35.html> >>

I wrote them in my last search for said elusive adapters and they told me
they don't/won't do one "because you won't be able to achieve infinity
focus."

<< It might make a cool group project to arrange for a group buy of
adaptors. These things are pricey because they tend to be made in
ones-and-twos, and someone might cut a significant deal to make tens of
them. >>

Hmm, interesting idea here. First step is to find out if it even works on a
D-60, etc. Norm Nadel apparently already has the adapter is in search of a
body to try it with.

I know we have some good mechanical engineering/machinist types here and
have to wonder if perhaps making a short run of them may not be such a bad
idea if there is enough demand (which is hard to measure, really).

The place in Japan Norm forwarded to the list has not yet replied, but if I
can get my hands on one I will eventually test it one way or the other.
There's a store in Palo Alto, CA that almost certainly rents D-30 and/or
D-60 bodies if need be, but since Stephen Scharf just bought a D-60 I
imagine he would want to get in on this.

How much interest is there in a group buy, and how difficult to make a short
run of these be for a good machinist to pull off????

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com