Re: [OM] Film vs. Digital in terms of $$$

Subject: Re: [OM] Film vs. Digital in terms of $$$
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 01:20:19 -0800
At 05:08 PM 12/18/2002 +0800, C.H.Ling wrote:
...DC has much more improvement to be done in coming years, noise is one
of the issue, ever think of using a ISO6400 DC with noise level of
current ISO100? Ever think of continue shooting without stop until you
memory card full? Just two examples and there are much more you may
never even dream about. Don't expect it will close to stabilize in 5
years. Unless you are the one that is easy satisfied, if so you can
now get one with everything you want with less than $1000 and enjoy
the fun, why bother with the price drop in a few months or a year?

Heh, *I* think of it all the time, but the point being discussed, if I am not mistaken, is when is time to move. I am saying that in about 2-3 years, the top of the line DSLR will be similarly priced as the top of the line SLR right now, with same or better features, for similar price point. Therefore, 2-3 years would be the timeframe for mass migration. In terms of IS06400 with low noise, or infinite memory, most people don't care about that. If they are available, people will use them, but there's no pull for them per se. They are push technology. There are already 1GB microdrive CF. So for example, further improvement in storage is not so important in the camera (except in the areas of other storage devices catching up to 1BG and beyond), but in the PC processing stage. Of course, for consumers, the whole issues of the output stage has to resolved etc.