Re: [OM] Less than wonderful Zuiko?

Subject: Re: [OM] Less than wonderful Zuiko?
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:09:36 -0500
There's too much agreement because we're all stick-in-the-muds who know
what we like.  And we all pretty much like the same thing, which can make
for uninteresting discussion threads.

Yep, I agree with you that the 28-105/2.8 Tamron SP equals the 35-80/2.8 in
the sharpness and contrast category.  But I sold my Tamron in preference of
the 35-80 because:

1. I didn't like the width/girth (don't complain about the 35-80's 62mm
filters, as the Tamron takes 82mm!)
2. I didnt' like how much it grew when zoomed all the way to 105mm.  I felt
like my lens had gotten very excited and I was a bit embarressed to use it
often.
3. I didn't like the small manual focusing ring.  The lens was obviously
designed to be an AF lens, and it shows in that design aspect.

But it took great pictures, every bit the equal of the 35-80 in the
sharpness and snap categories.  I didn't test the distortion, but not many
fast zooms do well there.  The Zuiko is no exception, exhibiting distortion
at both ends.

I loved the extra range on the zoom.

But I've gotten by just fine with my 35-80.  When shooting with it, I
typically carry a 2nd body with a 21 or 24 and either a 135/2.8 or the
..gulp.. 80-200/2.8 Tamron monster as it's companion.

I didn't investigate the bokeh, but it can be an issue with some lenses.
It's not imaginary, by any measure.  And it is elusive to describe and
confirm.  Don't underestimate the bokeh quality to make or break the same
shot taken with different lenses.

Skip