Re: [OM] Less than wonderful Zuiko?

Subject: Re: [OM] Less than wonderful Zuiko?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:37:10 -0800

Further, unless always shooting from a tripod with mirror and diaphragm
pre-fire, as long as there's a reasonable amount of light, the
35-105/3.5-4.5 Zuiko is every bit as good, has more range, weighs and costs
considerably less, being a one-touch is quicker and easier to use, and it
doesn't need weird-sized filters that fit none (?) of the other Zuikos.

-snip

Walt

Here is the key to the argument. If it is a bright, sunny day and you shake them around while taking a picture the 35-80/2.8 is no better than anything else. Sheesh. Pop Phot said it was the best zoom they had ever tested. They did not say that about the Tamron or the 35-105/3.5-4.5 Zuiko.

As for light my experience is that when you are on a trip and it rains or is clouded over it is nice to get an image with F2.8 and a little bracing with 100 ASA than to get no image with a slower lens or the degraded image of a faster film. I encountered a low light situation at the UCLA Japanese Garden recently on a sunny day, but tree shade so deep I would not have gotten any pictures without 2.8.

People get depressed or testy during the holidays. Hope Walt feels better after the new year.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California