Re: [OM] Less than wonderful Zuiko?

Subject: Re: [OM] Less than wonderful Zuiko?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:00:23 -0800
on 12/18/02 11:48 AM, Walt Wayman at hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Yo, Gang,
>
> I haven?t posted much lately, mostly because there's been nothing under
> discussion of real interest to me or regarding which I had a relevant
> contribution -- too much digital crap.  There hasn't even been a minor
> brouhaha going, much less a major controversy.  Too much agreement makes
> Zuikoholics dull boys (and girls).

Walt, you're a rabble-rousing rabble-rouser, fits right in here... <g>

>So, consider this:
>
> I've had my fabled, much desired, jewel-in-the-crown of Zuikos, the
> 35-80/2.8, for a few months now, and I am definitely underwhelmed.

I'll give you $30 for it...
> My 28-105/2.8 Tamron kicks its butt in zoom range, is at least its equal in
> sharpness and contrast, and, for those who really concern themselves about
> such esoteric BS, gives bokeh every bit as good.  (If you perceive a need for
> the imagined magic of mystical and ethereal bokeh so as not to distract from
> the subject of the picture you've taken, maybe you should've chosen a better
> subject and/or been a better photographer.  If folks' attention wanders off
> into the background of your pictures, you've been wasting film.)
>
> Further, unless always shooting from a tripod with mirror and diaphragm
> pre-fire, as long as there's a reasonable amount of light, the
> 35-105/3.5-4.5 Zuiko is every bit as good, has more range, weighs and costs
> considerably less, being a one-touch is quicker and easier to use, and it
> doesn't need weird-sized filters that fit none (?) of the other Zuikos.

OK, I'll give you $25 for it...

> So why am I disparaging this lens, especially since I may be offering it to
> the highest bidder any day now, either here or elsewhere?  Beats me.  Maybe
> it has something to do with the Christmas spirit.
>
> Or perhaps it's the Christmas spirits.  Just finished a two-week medical
> malpractice case, during which I learned a hell of a lot more about fetal
> macrosomia than I ever wanted to know, and I am ready to kick back.  Except
> for a party, or five or six, I'm free until next year!  Ho, ho, ho!
> Seasons greetings and peace on you all!  There's another party just around
> the corner, so those who take issue with what I say here will have to wait
> a bit for my rebuttal.  Or you can kiss my rebuttal, or rekiss my --  oh,
> never mind!

OK, I'll give you $20 for it... will you take a check?

> Walt

Merry Christmas to you, too!
--

Jim Brokaw

As for the rest of youse rabble, the same's to you too!

JB

new sig coming soon... 8*)