[OM] One last digital topic...then that's it...

Subject: [OM] One last digital topic...then that's it...
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:00:46 -0800
for the time being, anyway...(I promise)

[OT] content:
The November issue of PDN (Photo District News) has an article on pros that turned digital and why. Of course, the reasons are as varied as the photographer but there were some common threads that were of interest. One was the immediacy; being able to try things, look at the result, and then change if necesary, and not have to wait for the film to come back. Another that was almost always mentioned mentioned was improved workflow, despite increased time at the computer doing postprocessing. And a no. of them mentioned not having to worry about the lab screwing up or losing their film during processing.

Here's a couple of interesting comments and the type of pro service they provide:

Tim Stahl:

"I get instant gratification in knowing I have the shot. It's like a 47-megabyte Polaroid, only it becomes my final image. With digital, your level freedom and creativity opens up because you can make subtle lighting adjustments, or shoot three stops open to see the results on the screen-not fumble with film holders or keep track of snips, pushes, pulls, film emulsions."
--------
Stahl Photographics
Advertising, commercial

Here's a comment Albert will find of interest regarding film vs digital using a view camera:

Paul Hartley:
I shoot mainly with a Phase One H20 on a Rollei Xact, and the quality just blows film away. I've not shot a sheet of film since I made the move, and its probably the best investment since I bought my first view camera.
--------
Paul Hartley, London
Diamond jewelry, watches, still life, etc.

There's also an awesome digital imaging contest section...including some photos from "A Day in Africa", which was shot exclusively with Oly Digitals (E10 and E20, I think).

[OM] content (finally!)

Just picked up the latest Popular Photography (and Imaging..whoops, there's the D-word association again), and two of the photos that won in their best photos of the year issue were taken with OM's. One was taken with an OM-2 and one with the venerable OM-1. Pretty dang cool.

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!