RE: [OM] Why do photo teachers recommend Pentax?

Subject: RE: [OM] Why do photo teachers recommend Pentax?
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 20:54:04 +1100
> Albert [mailto:olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> My friend is about to take a B&W photo class as part of her
> being an art major...  Same thing happened with my ex-gf, the
> teachers recommend a used Pentax MF as THE camera to have for
> the class..

I believe for many years, and from the sounds of it still, the
K1000 was *the* student camera of choice. Cheap, manual and
everywhere (produced from 1976 to 1997 from memory). Place that
next to (at least around this way) the far greater secondhand
availability of appropriate fit lenses for the K1000 compared
to the Olympus, and it probably explains a lot (student = little
money in many circumstances). I think the thinking is that "get
them to buy something cheap, readily available, and *manually*
simple, and if they decide they like it *then* they can pick
their poison from the more expensive ranges and wonderbricks
if they so wish".

Oddly, in recent times I've seen far more OM1 one bodies than I've
seen K1000 bodies (and the K1000's weren't so cheap as suggested for
that same reason I guess).

Still, from all I read while looking for my "manual camera of
choice" that became the OM1, I'd not begrudge having settled on
one of the Pentax jobbies (other than or the "Made in Japan", not
"Assembled in China", version K1000) with a 50mm/f1.8 attached.

'Course, I could be completely wrong.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz