Re: [OM] Why do photo teachers recommend Pentax?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why do photo teachers recommend Pentax?
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 02:25:58 -0800
At 05:26 PM 12/20/2002 +0800, Albert wrote:
My friend is about to take a B&W photo class as part of her being an art major... Same thing happened with my ex-gf, the teachers recommend a used Pentax MF as THE camera to have for the class..

As far as "Bang for the buck" I don't see how my Om1n can be beat.. What am I missing here that the photo teachers know or don't know or conspire??

I would think an Om1+50mm/f1.8 is the cats meow..
..

The Pentax is as small as the OM. The Pentax K mount is probably the most popular bayonet lensmount out there, at least before Nikon and Cannon completely taking over the photo world. The K1000 was cheap, cheap, and cheap. Remember the OM-1 is supposed for professional who didn't want to lug around a 2 lbs Nikon F (Hmmm... may history repeat itself with the 4/3 system!) whereas the K1000 was designed to be, cheap, for students.

Of course there is also a cult of the Takumar lens of old, but I don't know how much that follows to the Pentax SLR line. Many have said that the Takumar are some of the best lens ever made, and that includes the Leica and Zeiss.