Re: [OM] I'm back!

Subject: Re: [OM] I'm back!
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:18:30 -0800 (PST)
>Lovely interior photos Bob!  They are almost luminous... I
>must have a go at church interiors with mono film, but you
>reckon, do you, that Pan F is the business?

I'll pipe in here, since Bob hasn't even seen the best of his
shots.  I screwed up the printing a bit.

The PanF, for these church interiors was spot-on.  I can see
where Delta 100 would have provided a slightly cleaner shadow
detail and possibly would have compressed the highlights a
little bit more. Bob bracketed the shots and in most cases the
over-exposed shot turned out to be the best because of shadow
detail. However, in the case of the statues, the over-exposed
shot did slightly lose detail in the brightest highlights.

The scans don't show the gradients that exist in the highlights.
The prints were a grade too hard, possibly two grades too hard
for scanning.  The cross in the one shot is quite 3-dimensional
on the print where it loses that aspect in the digital image.
The negative holds such detail that you can make out the texture
(marbling) of the stone.  At first I thought it was grain.

Do I recommend PanF for this type of work?  Absolutely!  PanF is
a beast to print because the grain magnifier is worthless.
<smile>.

Delta 100 would be an excellent choice too as it would not need
the over-exposure to gather the shadow detail which would
protect the highlights a little more.

Yes, these pictures "glow".  L**ca ain't the only way to get
"glow".

AG-Schnozz