[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3773

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3773
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:30:08 -0500
Winsor and Walt -

Look at Photo 2 at f5.6 (second row in the second group on the page). The
out-of-focus highlights to the right of the tree in the TE are definitely
polygons (hexagons I think), while the APO ones are rounder and thus
smoother. Depends on what you want for any given image, though.

I've taken a shot with my Zuiko 50/3.5 I didn't like because the little
hexagons in the background made it look rough. (Actually I've taken lots I
didn't like, but those weren't the lens' fault. I've taken lots I did like.
But I digress...) I wanted smooth in this case.

Try taking a shot with an XA at about 5.6 with an out-of-focus background.
It has a sort-of four-bladed iris; background can be quite rough. Six blades
(many Zuikos) is smoother, eight or nine even better.

I myself am skeptical of many of these kind of claims (remember monster
speaker wire?), but this one I can see.

Regards,
Andrew