Re: [OM] Photoshop curves and unsharp

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoshop curves and unsharp
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 01:50:32 -0800
Some good on-line resources are
Computer-Darkroom <http://www.rgbnet.co.uk/ilyons/>
a few scanning tips <http://www.scantips.com/>
Making fine prints in your digital darkroom <http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints.html> Mastering Downsampling <http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/imagedatabases/downsampling.html> This site is great for explaining what you are doing and why you are doing it, not only for downsampling, but for unsharp mask. I found the very detailed procedures are not optimal for all kinds of images. Try them as a tutorial, experiment, and discover what's best for you. In Photoshop 6 or 7, with that lovely, one click, multi-level undo/redo, it's easy to compare before and after of one or several steps adjustment steps.

I always scan for and save the best straight scan I can. Later, I make adjustments to curves, balance, sharpening, etc. in photoshop and also save the final print and/or web versions.

Moose

IanG wrote:

OM content.... I use one :-)

Last night I started reading a magazine to discover that I don't know how to
use curves and unsharp properly. I've discovered how to set black and white
points with curves and the difference to a few of my pix is startling.

Now I strongly suspect I've been using unsharp mask badly, which could go a
long way to explain lots of 'grain' in my prints. Does anybody have a simple
approach / guide to using unsharp?

I have a horrid susption that I'm going to need to rescan and correct a lot
of negs now :-(