[OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (LONG)

Subject: [OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (LONG)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:19:52 -0800

What will take the longest is movies...

Perhaps not... Movies don't require the maximum amount of information that the format can supply, and movie films are accordingly NOT even close to Velvia, in terms of resolution. (Don't believe me, shoot some of that crap that Seattle Filmworks -- or whatever they're called since the re-org -- or Dale Labs, or any of those movie film repacking houses sells.)

It may be true that if you were using each frame to its utmost, but the human eye cannot discern all that detail at 24 frames per second. It would appear that MPEG formats do a pretty darn good job of containing as much "useful" information as is needed.

There are some small digital movie houses in Los Angeles all ready. I am impressed with the digital projections of astronomical photos in the lecture hall where my astronomy club meets. They look better than slide projections that precede them. Of couse the Epson digital projector is the size of the trunk of a Hyundai and must have cost the university many thousands.

 > >Then kiss film goodbye in ~2013.

I think film will be viable until disposable cameras are converted to digital and every film processor has a digital printing system that will take anyone's memory card. The economy of scale for film will then be lost and it will become a very expensive boutique product.

And to the extent that many parts of digital and film cameras are identical in function, that forms the basis for a price-parity point. When the sensor costs the same as the various motors, soleniods, and mechanical parts that are unique to film cameras, price-parity will be achieved.

I think the part omitted in the mix is the custom computer chip designed by or for the camera manufacturer which runs everything and probably costs a small fortune. I could see in the future that some chip manufacturer might end up producing chips that all manufacturers might use in order to get the cost down. Intel inside?

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California