Re: [OM] FS XA in France

Subject: Re: [OM] FS XA in France
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:45:51 -0500
> Talking with a photo reseller he has showed me
> an Olympus XA in good conditions (used by himself).
> What is your opinion ?

I tried a couple, as I'm looking for a pocket manual camera. Nice camera,
nice pictures, except:
 - hair trigger shutter on the ones I tried; you have to be a bit careful
 - out of focus background somewhat harsh at intermediate apertures;
   not a serious complaint but you'd have to be careful with background
 - quite noticeable vignetting with even-colored things like blue sky.

This last point is why I haven't bought one (yet). See also Gary Reese's
lens tests at http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm (the XA
is second item under "Point and Shoot"). The vignetting might not be as much
of a problem for people shots, street scenes, etc., but I thought it might
be depressing to always keep the sky out of my photographs (:-)

> I have read XA vs Rollei 35 opinions on this list months ago.

Great! Can anyone give me an approximate pointer into the archives, by
issue# or date?

Regards,
Andrew