Re: [OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 00:37:39 -0800
I quite agree. I thought someone would bring that up. Of course, all too often my "once in a lifetime shots" turns out not to be up to great enlargement. I'm not scrupulous with technique all the time and enlargement over 8x10 exposes the flaws of imperfect handholding, imprecise focusing, inadequate DOF, etc. Often a potentially great images end up pushing the boundaries of aperture and speed. And of course I don't have a tripod or the light is changing too fast to set it up, and so on. But not always, so I'm still using film for all but casual snapshots.

The other factor for me is photographic flexibility. The one-piece cameras have their place, but just can't do things SLR systems can. The digital SLR has come nowhere near reaching its potential. I can't believe that the long term future of the DC SLR is a gigantic monster using unnecsssarily large sensor sizes that are disproportionately expensive because of the physics/economics of chip production. Whether it's the Olydak or some other source, someone is going to produce a 15-20 Mp sensor of modest size with low noise, higher ISO, etc. and build a smaller, lighter body and lens line around it. It may take a few years, but I can wait. I don't really believe those pros are carrying around those massive DCs because they like the workout.

Moose

Winsor Crosby wrote:

And another side: When you carry a film camera which is inexpensive by today's rising digital standard, you have the potential when faced with a stunning subject and great care in taking the picture of creating that once in a lifetime shot that ends up on the wall in a giant sized enlargement. If you opt for an affordable digital in the 2 or 3 megapixel range which makes fine 4 X 6 prints you cut off that creative option. If you opt to get a second mortgage on the house, lose your spouse, and buy an 11-14 megapixel wonder with the same capability as your $10 roll of film you may not find that wonderful photo it is capable of before it is so outmoded in 3 or 4 years as to be embarrassing to be seen with. :-)