Re: [OM] Res wars continue

Subject: Re: [OM] Res wars continue
From: "Mickey Trageser" <vze3m2s8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 11:56:17 -0500
I have no technical data to support the following, however.... My sense is
that the digital looks sharper because there is sharpening done on the image
in the camera. Close looks at many digital images that were not processed
outside of the camera show artificial high contrast at hard boundaries. But
when looking for details in the image, they don't seem as striking as these
sharpened boundaries. The appearance of the image is eye catching and great
for snapshots, but in the end, it's eye candy to make a medium that does not
contain all the information look better.

Digital looks cleaner without the grain, but again, processing can render
broad areas of gently changing hues into bands of rough changing colors.
More resolution and less compression make for better renditions and pleasing
images. For point and shooters, it probably doesn't matter. They see sharp,
contrasty images with vivid, if overdone saturation. I think it's quite
subjective. I don't think the digital cameras are marketed to film lovers
anyway. They are high tech toys sold to people who want either instant
gratification and fast turnaround, or MP bragging rights. They can be
serious tools, even at the middle level, but marketing for that interest is
left for the high end gear.

It all comes down to what an individual demands from the product. Millions
of totally crappy portable CD players have been sold. I expect that same
trend to repeat in the DC arena. As a group, we are more like audiophiles.
We appreciate a level of detail lost on the masses. When we decide to own a
DC, we will select a model based on different criteria than the masses. Even
different than one another.

Well, I don't know if any of this made any sense, but I've got to run off
for last minute shopping. 'bout time I started, eh?

Mickey