Re: [OM] Res wars continue

Subject: Re: [OM] Res wars continue
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:13:32 -0500
Soap box out......Read only if you don't mind an opinion......

Too many people worry about resolving power, contrast lines per mm,
Modular-Transfer-Function graphs, grain size, SQF evaluations, RF vs. SLR,
Leica vs. Zeiss, Zuiko vs. Nikkor, 4x5 vs 35mm, 6x6 vs. 35mm. blah, blah,
blah..

Not enough people worry about lighting, camera shake, tripods, vibration
reduction, composition, proper focus, proper exposure, proper processing,
or capturing the "decisive moment".  Look at most of the pictures that go
onto the internet or through one-hour labs and you'll see a lot of crap
that was taken by GREAT equipment.

If more people took more time to actually think about the image made by the
equipment that they have, and live with it's limitations or advantages,
they'd produce much better photos.  I'm constantly surprised at the number
of people who actually worry about these impersonal measurements as a way
to disguise their lack of time to concentrate on the photos....(Me included
at times)....Perhaps they really don't want to make better pictures?

I belong to a group of photographers that meet every month to comment and
discuss each others' work.  About 8-12 people bring 4-6 prints for the
group (which usually numbers 25-40) to critique and comment on.  There is
very little discussion of equipment or lens or format.  It's all about the
photos and VERY refreshing.  Sometimes I long to discuss the gear, but
there are many other forums for that.  The sad thing is that I've been
going for 18 months, and I've never taken the time to bring prints, because
I'm "too busy"....Go figure!

4x5 vs 35mm:  If anyone wants to print a 30x40 or other similarly large
photo, you really have to move up to MF or 4x5 to get really good quality.
And BTW, it's very easy to see the differences on-print between 4x5 and
35mm at/above 11x14.  The differences are more subtle between 4x5/MF or
MF/35mm.  Much there depends on the technique.  But remember, 990f 35mm
photos are taken hand-held, and 990f 4x5 photos are taken on a rock-solid
tripod.  Right there, the LF has the edge.   If you want to show off an
image taken by 35mm, it's best done < 16x20, IMO.

.....Push soap box back under desk........

Skip