[OM] On: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (Super8 vs VHS, NTSC, & PAL)

Subject: [OM] On: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (Super8 vs VHS, NTSC, & PAL)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:28:47 -0500
At 8:00 PM +0000 12/23/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:24:25 -0000
>From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] On: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (LONG)
>
>At 9:47 AM +0000 12/23/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>>Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:07:09 -0600
>>From: "Dean C. Hansen" <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>Subject: [OM] On: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (LONG)
>
><snip>
>Sorry, Joe, but my 30-year-old Super 8 technology blow this guy's spankin'
>new video away.  The edges of the clouds in the sky in his video were
>jagged, and the colors of the pasque flowers were barely recognizable. His
>presentation, technically,  wasn't even in the same league with the Super 8.
>With Kodachrome, blues are blue, reds are red (and don't bleed), and greens
>are green.
><\snip>
>
>Dean,
>
>At the risk of starting a big US / UK debate here (we don't need any more
>flame wars here !) I have one word for you - "NTSC" !!!  I know there are
>pro's and con's of both NTSC and PAL, but what you describe above is
>particularly noticeable with NTSC and less so (tho still there) with PAL.
>We don't refer to NTSC as "Never Twice the Same Colour" for nothing !!!
>
>Jon (ducking for cover !)

It's true.  PAL has 625 lines of resolution, compared to 525 for NTSC, so the
resolution is better.  Not that either ever really achieved their full
theoretical resolution.   Especially on 1/2-inch consumer-level VHS videotape.
Many US TV sets had more like 250 lines (pixels).  The big difference is that
NTSC codes color as the absolute phase of the color subcarrier, while PAL uses
the frame-to-frame difference, so PAL color is far more robust.  The Europeans,
being the followers in color TV, had the opportunity to improve upon NTSC.

I don't know the image size of Super8, but if it scales from 35mm movie film,
at 24x18, then the image size will be something like 1/4-size, or 6mm by 4.5mm,
which is the rough equivalent of (6*100)(4.5*100)= 270,000 tricolor pixels per
frame, or 0.54 Mpix, as digital cameras are rated.  In terms of lines, this is
equivalent to 520 by 520, far more than VHS ever could do.

Joe Gwinn