Re: [OM] On: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (LONG)

Subject: Re: [OM] On: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (LONG)
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 20:01:18 -0800
I really have to second this. I've been using a Beaulieu 7008 Super-8 rig instead of Mini-DV in my production classes and there's just no comparison. Someone pointed out that NTSC isn't as impressive as PAL and that's a good point, but there are students using PAL C*non XL-1S rigs because of the added resolution and because in "Frame Movie Mode" (sort of a half-baked progressive scan mode) they're essentially shooting in 25P, so it makes film transfer easier and the framerate looks more like film. Even with the extra 100 lines and 25P, I'll take my Kodachrome Super-8 footage over their Mini-DV any day of the week. Now, I can't project for my presentations, so it all has to end up telecined to Mini-DV at the end of the day, but my film still looks better than their camcorder footage. The colors are much more vibrant and the latitude I have when I shoot negative film is just amazing. Shooting Kodak 200T or one of the Pro-8mm stocks gives me about six or seven stops of usable latitude. I overexpose by about a stop because telecine on underexposed film gets all digital-artifact-y, but I've accidentally shot four or five stops overexposed and in telecine color corrected and matched it to shots that were shot properly with no real noticable difference in the end result.

This is one of those areas where film and digital compliment each other, I think. Editing Super-8 used to be painful. A friend of mine and I used to make Super-8 space operas with models and railroad tracks and black thread back in the 70's and it was nightmarish. The stock is so small and there are no reference numbers on the film to edit by and if you were shooting sound back then you had to always work around the synch offset. Now I can shoot Super-8, telecine to video, edit in Final Cut Pro or Premiere, do post with After Effects including blue screen stuff and digital compositing, burn the whole thing to DVD and show it to anyone with a DVD player. I really feel like the two worlds compliment each other. Same with 35mm, really. I bring home my goofy snaps on PhotoCD, touch them up in Photoshop and print them on an inkjet. At 8x10 I'm usually perfectly happy with the results unless the scans were terrible (which seems to be the case at most local photo shops that scan and make CDs).

-Rob