Re: [OM] First shuttle launch

Subject: Re: [OM] First shuttle launch
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 17:56:58 -0800
You know, growing up in Florida, those early shuttle launches were like exotic camera shows wrapped up in a carnival. There would be thousands of people there all night before the launch. There used to be this strip of road right on the water where everyone parked. I don't think you can park there anymore. Anyway, all night long you could hear radios coming from cars tuned to NASA's information channel. Come dawn the photographers would all start setting up and the variety of bodies and glass would always blow me away. Just tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear. Some people with two or three rigs set up. I went to three or four of the early launches. The last one I went to was a year or two before Challenger and the number of people there was a fraction what it had been for the early launches. An interesting moment in history, though.

And a cool photo, too. Nice job.

-Rob