RE: [OM] Photoshop curves and unsharp

Subject: RE: [OM] Photoshop curves and unsharp
From: Tal Lancaster <tal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 23:35:46 -0800
> From: "IanG" <I@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: [OM] Photoshop curves and unsharp

. . .

> I normally only produce for monitor display and I've been
> sharpening my original file for that.... net result one very
> oversharpened file for A4 printing. So.... I'm now rescanning and
> sending out an unsharpened file for printing (the labs
> recommendation, they will sharpen) and producing smaller files for
> display.. Well, I'm hoping that's it.

My workflow for unsharp is to always unsharp at the final resolution
that the image is being viewed for.

So I have my final image saved at its highest resolution but with no
unsharp applied.  Then for each instance that the image is to be
viewed/printed, I resize it to the desired size, then apply unsharp
for that size.

The main reason for this is that the unsharp values are typically
different for different size images.  The same image that is to be
printed at 8"x10" will have a different unsharp value than its 640
pixel counterpart which is viewed on the web.

Tal
--
Tal Lancaster
talrmr@xxxxxxxxxxx