Re: [OM] Color of an OM-3 Display

Subject: Re: [OM] Color of an OM-3 Display
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 17:07:30 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Peter Koch wrote:

> In 1988 i bought an OM-3 and now i noticed, that any other OM-3 in Germany
> has an blue-grew display with white points and an red flash ready LED.
>
> My OM-3, serialnumber 1010301, has an orange diplay with white points and an
> green flash ready LED.
>
> It seemed to be the only one in germay.
>
> Did anybody know the reason ?

There were two types of LCD displays used in the OM-3 (and probably also the
OM-4).  The newer LCD has a blue mask applied to it to increase the contrast
between the display output and the background.  The older LCD didn't have this
mask and appears to be more black and white.  I've never seen an orange display,
but it's possible that somone has added an orange mask to an older B&W LCD to
try and make it easier to read.  Luckily the new blue mask LCD used in the
OM-4Ti is compatible with the older circuit used in the OM-3/4 so the old B&W
displays can be upgraded.  As for the flash ready LED, I thought they were all
green in the OM-3's
                        -mark