Re: [OM] Cameras Don't Lie

Subject: Re: [OM] Cameras Don't Lie
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 19:48:51 -0800
Congrats on your upcoming retirement. I heartily recommend it. I can't imagine where I found the time for all that work!

Walt Wayman wrote:

Earlier this month, on the same day, I had TWO lawyer clients thank me for this bit of advice because they believe they prevailed in cases they were trying at least in part because their opponents used digital photographs and couldn't sufficiently authenticate them and had to fume and fidget while enduring bombast and charges of computerized chicanery in closing argument.

I suppose it would be foolish to ask if this contributed to 'justice' in the form of an accurate determination of guilt or innocence?

In keeping with my advice, I provide the negatives with all photographs, which gives me an added bonus: I don't have to keep up with all this crap! I deliver the photographs, the negatives, and the bill, and then I go to the bank and forget about it.

Nice idea, but not really all that solid. I'm sure C.H., with his 'film printer' could provide a nice neg 'after the fact' from a digitally altered image. A negative shot from a print of a digitally altered image could be made by any number of us. The digital 'signature' in the data file output from a DC, as was discussed a bit ago, might actually be more defensible. At least as Albert described it, it sounded more bulletproof to me than an 'original' piece of film.

Moose