Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighs in

Subject: Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighs in
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:07:37 -0800
That is your experience. Mine is different. Both types of film scan equally well for me. Using Vuescan with its film specific unmasking for negative film gives me color balance I find to be just as accurate as scanning slides. Of course, we know that slide films all have color balances that are different from each other and different, some quite different, from what the eye saw in the scene. I am not claiming 'true' colors, just no more inaccurate than slide film. My experience with a 2700dpi scanner is that grain is about the same, and not a problem at any reasonable print size, with either type of film, taking into account film speed factors.

What do you mean by "accurate"? With slide film, one can compare the scanned image to the slide itself to determine the 'accuracy' of the scan, but that is simply redefining the source for comparison from the original scene to the slide. It is theoretically possible for a scan of a neg to be a more accurate representation of the color of the original scene than a scan of a slide of the same scene that is true to the slide, but not to the scene photographed. Considering that light in the 'real ' world is never the same from one moment to the next, this kind of stuff could only be meaningfully studied in a highly controlled lab setting. Since I'm interested in a photograph that recreates the image I have in my mind, I'll skip the lab and go out and smell and photograph the flowers.

As I said in my last post, scanning is not cut and dried, but quite variable across hardware, software and user.

Moose

C.H.Ling wrote:

Scanning slide and negative is no comparison, slide is ten times
better for sure! Provided you have a good film scanner with
D-range>3.6 and low noise. Scanning slide get accurate color
reproduction, negative never, different negative gives different color
response curve, you can never get the exact color/tone, what you can
do is to adjust for what it looks "good" can't say accurate. So far
all negative are grainy when scanned except the discontinued Ektar 25,
slides has much less grain.

The only advantage of negative is the wide latitude, when you under or
over exposed a frame you can still get back the details during
scanning.