RE: [OM] Re: Vuescan, an HP S20, and me

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Vuescan, an HP S20, and me
From: "Gary L. Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 22:14:59 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of C.H.Ling

I don't have the LS2000 anymore, just test the LS4000, ignore auto focus and
auto exposure timing, with a 2.4GHz PC and 768MB RAM Window ME. No ICE and
filters. auto crop in vuescan, similar cropping in Nikon SW.

Vuescan - 61 seconds for scan, 29 seconds for saving the cropped file.
Nikon original software, color management off - 51 seconds total.

Another datum: Nikon LS-30 Coolscan III (SCSI), no ICE, same full frame
OM-shot E-6 transparency scanned at 2700 dpi:

NikonScan 3.1 - 23 s either standalone or using import function directly
from Photoshop 6.0

Vuescan 7.5.69 - 56 s to scan, approximately 20 seconds to store TIF and
open in Photoshop.

Run on an AMD Athlon XP+ 1700 with 1 gig SDRAM, running Win 2k Pro, all
other applications closed.

I was surprised at the results; I use both programs to scan (depending on
the slide/negative) and had failed to notice the disparity in scanning time.
I still like Vuescan, and it often produces better scans (it did for this
example).  Only with release 3 has Nikonscan become a usable piece of
software; 2.5 was horrid.

Gary Edwards