Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin

Subject: Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 08:39:22 -0600
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

C.H.Ling wrote:

But for film comparison, there is no discussion, see why almost all professional (except news, portrait and wedding) use
slide you will know, especially for product shoots.

I've used a lot of slide film. I shot it almost exclusively for many years. Wonderful stuff. People who like it should use it. It has clear advantages for many uses over negative. I'm just arguing that it isn't inherently any more color accurate than negative film. I believe there are at least 3 reasons, other than inherent color accuracy, that many professionals use slide film.

1. Personal, institutional and industry habit and reproduction equipment requirements. 2. They and their clients like to look at the film images directly when evaluating them - for composition, sharpness, etc. in addition to color accuracy. Loupes, light tables and projectors don't work with negs and cheap, automated prints are very poor measures of what is actually on the film. 3. Storage, retrieval and handling are easier with slides. You can just pick up the sheet holder and see which is which at a glance. For someone using digital darkroom and storage, either either original form is equal.

There is a fourth reason why transparencies are preferred to color negatives: contrast. In a properly executed print, the contrast ratio between the brightest and darkest areas of the image are supposedly at most 100:1. With transparencies, this contrast ratio soars to 400:1! I have long heard transparency enthusiasts brag about the "bottomless" blacks achievable with their medium of choice but virtually impossible with prints. The latitude with transparencies is much tighter, but the derived contrast is supposedly what makes it all worthwhile.

John