[OM] Re: How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin

Subject: [OM] Re: How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 11:23:27 -0800
>From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> the E20N can't correct for the color temperature of
>conventional US household bulbs...

Why do you say that? You must be thinking only of the "auto" setting.

The E-20 is rather unique in that it allows you to select color balance by
color temperature. IMHO, it offers better color balance control than most other
digicams, which have rather useless pre-sets like "indoors" "daylight" etc.

It also has a custom white balance function: point it at something you want to
render neutral, push a button, and it keeps that setting.

Either of these modes will make more predictable results than using the default
"auto white balance" setting.

I use the E-20 for fine art reproduction, and artists are notoriously picky
about color. For bigger pieces, I use two Colortran hotlights (1kW each,
3200K). I've used both the custom white balance on the back of a grey card, and
the 3200K setting, and they come out very close to each other.

I do agree that the built-in lens is rather limited. It also has significant
barrel distortion at the wide end.

>OTOH, the ability to go to 420mm F2.8
>(actually 105mm) is absolutely incredible.

The 3x converter is cool, but nowhere near the quality of OM Zuiks of similar
length. It has significant chromatic aberration in the edges and corners. It's
also a paint to put on and take off, so I built a quick-release for mine.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>