Re: [OM] Re: Virus Alert!! - One Hacker's Love

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Virus Alert!! - One Hacker's Love
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 19:32:51 -0800
Not in this case. I just received another one with a different subject and the same body and attachment with the following detail:

--#r0xx#

Moose

From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The .SCR file I
received was zero-length...

I don't think it was actually a ".SCR" file, anyway.

Most of these virii count on users turning off file extension visibility. So they name them things like
"FOO.TXT.BAT" or "PIC.SCR.EXE" or "SEXY.JPG.COM" The GUI strips off the last
extension, making the user think it's something harmless.

Of course, not only is my Mac not infectible by these things, but I see these normally
"hidden" extensions. You may want to turn off filename extension hiding if you
routinely get email attachments that you WANT to open. This will help you weed out the
real picture from Aunt Babe from the fake one her virus sent you... :-)