Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin

Subject: Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 14:27:44 +0800

Moose wrote:

> C.H.Ling wrote:
>
> I just checked the negs and it is Royal Gold 400-3. The negative
> markings are "RC 400-3 Kodak" alternating frame by frame with "Royal
> 400-3". I only saw the first one when I looked quickly. sorry for any
> confusion. Neither is a film I'm familiar with. I just got this roll as
> a freebie with some other film.

Ok, if it is Royal Gold, because the Gold 400 is the most grainy film
I have seen.

> Again, simply not my experience, no grain visible on 8x10. Of course, we
> are using quite different scanners and printing processes. I have a
> Canoscan FS2710 and I print on an Epson 1270. I assume that may be at
> least part of the difference.

Sorry for the unclear, I was talking about optical lab print, inkjet
print could be different as it has much lower resolution.

> Can't we just agree we have different experiences? My personal
> experience is of no siginificant difference between scanning slides and
> scanning negatives - with my equipment, with my way of working, for my
> images and for the results I like.

Ok, if you include the factor of equipment, software and personal
preference of result, I agree with you. But I expected we are talking
about general quality with capable device (as I have mentioned before
you need a later low noise high D-range scanner for slides) and which
media is easier to get an accurate result. Even the equipment
manufacturer seems not placing to much effort on negative, as you can
see the calibration target like Kodak Q-60 is slide. Some years ago I
heard from a friend in the printing field said there were even no
negative driver for drum scanner.

C.H.Ling