Re: [OM] Tiffen filters?

Subject: Re: [OM] Tiffen filters?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 09:34:05 -0700
At 11:55 PM 1/2/2003 +0800, Albert Yang wrote:
>I bought a tiffen filter when I first got my camera, and they are on 2 out of
>3 of my lenses..  I have since learned that they aren't exactly that great of
>filters; I bought a B&W filter, and it seems to be quite a bit more flare
>resistent when I hold the two up in the light and compare..
>
>But I can't get the B&W to screw onto my 50mm for some reason; it will fit my
>28mm fine, but not the 50mm..

Odd.  The B+W filters are made from high-quality brass, which usually screws in
more easily and silkily than cheaper filters, which are often
aluminium-mounted.  Is it possible that the threads on the 50mm are gummed up,
or perhaps the entire helicoid of the front threads is slightly out of true?

>Anyway, does it make that big of a difference?  A lot of people say yes, some
>say no..  Let me know what you all think..  I don't even know if my Tiffen
>filters are coated!!

Most of the Tiffens I own aren't coated, but it's irrelevant for the types of
uses to which the Tiffens are put (I use 'em to degrade the image in certain
ways, such as the SoftNets, which slightly "fuzzify" the image...).  The B+W's
I own, on the other hand, are all multicoated.  Coating can make a huge
difference in image quality.  Flare can really reduce contrast, which I find I
prefer to do after the image is created, not during (it's hard to increase
contrast in a high-quality fashion...).

Garth