[OM] Bokeh! Bokeh! Bokeh!

Subject: [OM] Bokeh! Bokeh! Bokeh!
From: "gries" <gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 09:02:34 -0600
Garth, John, Joe, and all:

Thanks for the info!  This is certainly helpful in understanding the
behavior of bokeh.  One of the most interesting things in the PDF article
was the notion that front-bokeh and back-bokeh are different in character.
That is something that is definitely worth keeping in mind.

As for the 28mm I really don't have any problems aside from the occasional
anastigmatic bokeh.  Its an incredibly brilliant lens with just the right
amount of DoF.  And, it is only in those situations where I am close to the
subject that the bokeh turns on you.  I'm certainly not going to get rid of
this lens, but it is good to know where it is best used.  Interestingly, I
have often like the bokeh of the 18/3.5.  one example is here:
http://www.nothingrhymeswithorange.com/gries/Journal/pm-015.htm - sorry I
don't have a bigger version on hand.

I am also infatuated with the bokeh on Brian Swale's photo for the WE:
http://www.nothingrhymeswithorange.com/gries/Asides/OM-2002/SWAL.htm - a bit
geometric, but very pleasing to my eye.