Re: [OM] OT - Enlargers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Enlargers
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 03:21:02 +0100
On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 03:47:03
Benson Honig <benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jamie, there are some good discussions on Photonet under darkroom,
> enlarger.
> http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-one-category?topic_id=1542&category=Enla
> rgers
>  As usual, the main constraints are cost, size, etc... but you can
>  actually
> by used darkroom gear really cheap now, because everyone is dumping
> it for digital. If ever there was a time to buy it is now! I've
> used all the major brands - Bessler, Omega, and Durst, and have to
> say that one can adapt a reasonable technique to almost any of them
> - the most critical issue being the quality of the lens and your
> own skill with the equipment. More money

I completely agree with this. Decide if you stick with 35mm or will
do MF as well. Thenm to put is bluntly, boy the cheapest enlarger you
can find for that format - and the best optics you can afford :)

Personally, I have developed a liking for the eastern-european MeOpta
Opemus and Axomat enlargers. I've had the chance to use both Durst
and Omega too, however they offered me little over my sturdy MeOpta.
It all comes down to habit, I suppose.

Watch out for MeOpta optics, btw., since they are a little like
playing the lottery: you may get one that is perfect, but I have seen
way too many with some defects of some sort. Stick to N*kon or
Rodenstock or something similar (I have a N*kon 50/2.8 for 35mm,
which is quite a good lens).

Btw., my Axomat 5 comes handy as a self-defence tool: if anyone
attacks you, take your best swing. The enlarger will survive - I am
not sure your attacker will...the benefit of a solid metal (iron?)
construction...

The big advantage is, that the MeOpta gear is really cheap here, and
is quite good. I've been using an Axomat 5 for 15 years or so, and it
has yet to let me down. Don't know how the prices are acrss the pond?

> usually gets you  more stability, larger format, easier use,
> however, some of the best enlargers ever made were sold 50 years
> ago, still work perfectly, and can be had for a few dollars (if you
> select them carefull). It's really a lot of fun, and I keep
> returning to it. Benson

Yeah, true. One thing more to observe is, that not all enlargers come
with the possibility to add filters - or a dedicated  (possibly
optional) color head. Not just usefull for color prints (although
that is fun too) but also for using multi-grade paper.

Printing your own work is, about, half the pleasure and half the
creative process of photography. I enjoy it enormously :)