[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3789

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3789
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 22:44:22 -0800

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:11:37 -0800
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Re: Vuescan, an HP S20, and me

 >If you have a machine slower than 1GHz, don't
try to scan a 60MB file, it takes a year to complete.

Well, that would depend on a lot of other factors, though, right?

My 54MB film scans on MacOS 9 with a 200MHz CPU and 384MB RAM take
under a minute with an LS-2000.

Whatever machine/OS you have, stuff it with RAM for best performance.

Too roight! My point (in the last digest), exactly!  I've got a G3
with a 335 Mhz processor and I find it very suitable for the large
images I work with in Photoshop 7.

-

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:24:11 -0500
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Cameras Don't Lie

<snip>
Even with Photoshop, it's pretty hard to make a fake that will
withstand expert scrutiny.  Even non-experts will notice that the
photo just doesn't look quite right, although the non-experts may
not be able to put their finger on exactly what's wrong until an
expert points it out.

Sorry, IMHO, this is naive. You would be amazed at what Photoshop can
do in the hands of someone who is truly expert with it.

Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 10:09:30 -0600
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin

<snip>
Although I can go for a good prosumer dc now---including the Olympus
E20N, I rather wait for a solid professional camera.

The E20N appears very tempting indeed.  However, it doesn't go wider than
28mm (actually 7mm).  I need a camera to be able to get down to at least
24mm, preferably 21/20mm before it gets serious consideration as a system
camera.  Furthermore, the E20N can't correct for the color temperature of
conventional US household bulbs.  OTOH, the ability to go to 420mm F2.8
(actually 105mm) is absolutely incredible.  This puts one right at entry
level bird photography focal lengths.

Perhaps the upcoming Kodak/Olympus dc will address my druthers.  In the
meantime, I still have a lot of film to consume.

John

I know that this is likely going to prove an unpopular viewpoint here
on this list in particular, but, unfortunately, I have a lot of
concerns for the Oly 4/3 system being viable from a successful
product point of view. It will depend on whether other mfr's. other
than Kodak will jump on board to a great extent, but the fact the
sensor will be so small relative to its competition will be a cause
for concern for me as well.  Particularly when the industry drive is
for more and more pixels in a given area.The best D-SLRs right now
have a lot of megapixels in a large area sensor. The new 5 megapixel
sensors in the C5050Z and C-50Z are already getting slammed for noise
issues in many reviews, because Oly tried to cram too many pixels in
a sensor the same size as a 4 megapixel one. There are very good
reasons why Canon kept the S45 and G3 at 4 megapixels, for example.
I have the same concern for the 4/3 sensor...the idea is to keep the
sensor fairly small and develop a purpose built set of small, light
lenses for it, much like the concept behind the original OM system.
That's great for the resolutions that the camera will debut with, but
I have concerns how well it will work when competition forces up the
pixel density. The best solution for this is to increase the sensor
size, but then you obviate the rationale for the small, compact
lenses, and you would have a multiplication factor to deal with once
again.  I have no doubt that all the new lenses that we would have to
buy would be absolutely stunning in their optical quality, but the
downside is that there are no legacy lenses that one can use to
"bridge the gap". One can buy used Canon or Nikon lenses now for the
new digitals from a no. of sources, and rent what you would only need
a few times a year. But none of that will be possible with the new
OlyDak, and I think that poses a big disadvantage; not from a
technical, image quality point of view, but from a marketing success
one. I am also concerned that the new lenses will be quite expensive,
and if Oly can get their autofocus system to work *competitively*
with Canon's and Nikon's. They have not had great success with this
with the E10 or E20 series. I really like Olympus as a company, and I
love their film and digital cameras, and I genuinely hope they can
pull this off. But I have a nagging concern that this will be like
introducing Corfam for shoes or "New Coke" . People will realize they
like their shoes made of real leather and their colas to be "Coke
Classic".  Just my 2¢.

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!