Re: [OM] ( MO ) Virus warning - Subject: A special new game

Subject: Re: [OM] ( MO ) Virus warning - Subject: A special new game
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 12:33:10 -0700
At 07:34 AM 1/5/2003 +1300, Brian Swale wrote:
Hi Folks,

Virus sent to me today, (picacu.exe)  trapped by my excellent ISP.

This often contains the virus WORM_KLEZ.H.

The Subject may also be "An excite game"

Brian:

Don't sweat it. KLEZ has been around for ages, and it can't be picked up by people getting messages from the Olympus List (the List software automagically strips content out of attachments -- I've received several zero-length files from Oly List messages over the years, which means they're harmless...). All standard anti-virus software picks it up and eradicates it.

If you haven't got AV software, a special-purpose utility called "Stinger" created by McAfee's Anti-Virus Emergency Response Team (AVERT) is available for FREE at:

   http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Download and run it. It'll stomp all known variants of KLEZ (along with some other very prevalent threats), and they keep it up to date.

Garth