Re: [OM] [ot] for all the car nuts, petrol heads

Subject: Re: [OM] [ot] for all the car nuts, petrol heads
From: "Ford Prefect" <f.prefect@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 01:15:51 -0000
> Your diesel engine information is about 20 years out of date.  They
> are in production. There is an infrastructure to support them.
> Modern turbo-diesel engines are very competitive in performance to
> gasoline engines and they use much less fuel.
They use much less fuel but like for like they are still light years behind
the any petrol engine of similar size and displacement in refinement and
performance , take a petrol engine of similar capacity and turbo charge it
and the resulting car will leave the turbo desisel version like its in
reverse. Diesels soot production is still approximately a thousand time
higher than a petrol engine and its these particulates that can cause asthma
once the link is proved it will be interesting to see what happens in
california..  as for Gas powered cars the infrastructure is there you just
have to look for it.. LPG has another name.. Propane, I think you will fnd
its fairly easily available but not from a gas station!

Stewart