[OM] Influences on picture quality

Subject: [OM] Influences on picture quality
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 09:30:25 +0800
OK, I've read a lot of articles on this topic this week, and most I agree with; from my personal experience, this is what I have noticed (from greatest influence to least)

1. Tripod!! ~ The pictures off a tripod (good heavy one, not the toothpick ones) are stunning. 2. Shade!! ~ I had taken a few pics with a friend holding a screen over me and my lens, MUCH better color saturation from the pictures then the same shot, without shade. I suspect that a lens shade does that also.. 3. 1/focal length violation ~ I find that with the exception of my 28mm, this rule works very well, anything below it and you can visably tell quality degradation due to handshake (tripod's not withstanding) 4. Lens. ~ Yep, surprised the hell out of me, but most lenses that are prime from a decent brand is generally of good quality. I don't own a zoom, and so I can't speak for them. But on a tripod with good metering and good screening from stray light, my Zuiko's performed very well against Minolta's and Leicas. Absolutely no visible difference at 4x6. So I guess a good tripod is essential as far as where to spend the money. 5. Filter ~ I had a bad filter before and it really tweaked the clarity of the picture
6.  Mirror lockup ~ Less vibration is always a good thing right?
7.  Film ~ Reala or Provia.  'nuff said.  The Kodak Gold 200,400 is TRASH.

These things said, the lens I thought would be very very high up on the list, but it's not. That's said, I'm very happy with my Zuikos.

Albert