[OM] OT: Seattle-area members: In Search of Surplus

Subject: [OM] OT: Seattle-area members: In Search of Surplus
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 20:32:52 -0800
Any Seattle-area members have darkroom gear they aren't using
that they'd like to donate to a brand new underfunded public
school photography program?

I went to meet with the headmaster at our daughter's school today in Kent, to discuss what use they might have for some of my darkroom gear. I was thinking I'd lend, or even donate, my enlarger and some processing gear, and they'd find a way to make use of it all. (I'm paying $60/month for climate controlled storage. It wouldn't take too many months of that to replace everything if I ever get a darkroom again.)

The headmaster had a counteroffer: if I can equip the darkroom to my satisfaction, and make time for a couple of classes per week, they'd like me to become their photo instructor. She really had to twist my arm....

I have enough gear to get a minimal setup going for a couple of students per class, but I'd like to do better than that for as little money as possible. I'm sure there are other list members who, like me, have excess darkroom gear they never use -- tanks and reels you don't like as much as your newer stuff, but you never could bring yourself to throw away. Small, old paper safes from before you got one for really big paper. A non-repeating
timer for your enlarger that's just sitting in a box. User-grade
all-manual cameras that would make good loaners for kids who
can't afford their own?

If there's another packrat out there who has gear you'd be willing to donate to a good cause, please reply off-list and we can work out the details.

--
josh@xxxxxxxxx is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>